Saturday, June 28, 2008

And then there was a smoker

To start this off I had been thinking about smoker for some time. The first thought was to make one from a metal drum and actually started the project. My goal was to have a gas smoker for quick starts and less tending to the fire as with traditional charcoal or wood smokers. The use of the drum posed a few fabrication issues so that plan was eventually scratched. Then came the search for a new smoker and while searching I discovered a friend that owned a New Braunfels Bandera that he was interested in parting with.
Enters the Bandera, I quickly began research and discoverd how well built the Bandera was. Addtionally I found a bit a of sub culture and a following for the model. Web fourums like the BBQ Brethren and the Yahoo Group The Bandera Brethren that are closly related. By registering on the Yahoo group and posting my plans I was pleased to see other tips and variations of modifications for the Bandera.So I decided to purchase the used Bandera from my friend and do a Propane conversion to it. And this is where we are...