Saturday, June 28, 2008

The day I met the Bandera Smoker

Ok so the day I went to pick up the smoker I did not realize how big a Bandera actual was until seeing one. The wieght listed on some of the websites was like 300lbs, of course I said 300 that MUST be a typo. Well guess what I think the Bandera might actually be near 300lbs. I now this because it took 2 of us to load it in the back of my Toyota 4Runner by laying on it's back. Not the best way to transport a 300lb smoker but what the heck, and yes I did put a tarp down first.

At home I began the inspection, looks like the smoker was left unclean and full of ashes for a maybe the winter season, not so bad but except the location of the smoker was near the eve of the house and it looked like some water found it's way into the smoker as the ashes were still damp. Damp ashes & metal do not mix so the ash tray & the bottom lift rack were rusted beyond use. Next on to the fire box inspection, the fire box on the Bandera is made of thick metal and had some pitting and flaky rust that I removed by chipping at the scale and light grinding with a hand grinder. The smoker box was fine too just dirty so I cleaned her all up and started planning the conversion.

Parts list:
propane BBQ fire element
heat control supply line & regulator
propane bottle
heat control mounting panel
cast iron wood chip box

Having had some of this list from the first attempt to build a smoker the task did not take long. I elected to use a cast iron camping pot for the wood box and modify it.

First, remove the legs as they will get in the way



Now it's time to modify the lid so the smoke can get out but still let the pot retain good heat when in use.





Underside of lid after much drilling

The mods to the cast iron pot finished